Thursday, July 2, 2009

Summer Reading Contest


The beginning of summer time as a growing girl was always filled with anticipation. My mother was the best at structuring our time and I was so excited for all that I would do and learn. One year I remember learning how to cross stitch. But mostly I remember visiting our local library every week, which supported our most famous tradition from the Mortensen home: our summer reading contest.

For every book we read, we would record the number of pages and add up all the totals at the end of the three months. The winner was inevitably my brother Andrew who is eighteen months younger than me. He is such a speeder reader! Even still, every year I was enthusiastic about my chances of winning, and thoroughly enjoyed the books I found along the way.

I have just finished Coming Home by Rosamond Pilcher. I has taken me ten months to get through the 726 pages. The description was so full of detail it truly played like a movie in my mind, and I really enjoyed the historical side of the story as well.

Next on my list:
A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver by e.l. Konigsburg
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.