Saturday, June 30, 2012

A second chance

My brother'n law Brock was over a couple of weeks ago.  We were taking turns digging thru a bag of Costo's mixed nuts & dried fruits. "Pretty soon there's only going to be banana chips left," I said.

 "I like banana chips," replied Brock.

 "You do? They're so crunchy."

"My Grandma used to buy bags of them and we'd always eat them at her house" he said.

Huh, maybe I should give banana chips another chance, I thought.

A few days later as we drove down to Lake Powell I found myself picking out the banana chips and enjoying the salt from the nuts against the subtlety sweet chips. I thought about how one person saying they like something can help me be more open minded.


 And I remembered another time when someone helped me change my mind.  I was eight years old, at a ward party, which was being hosted at a member's house.  Some of the primary children were hanging out together in a bedroom, and Billy Joel's song "For the longest time" started playing.

 "I don't like this song," I said, to my ears it wasn't cool like Michael Jackson.

 Then my friend's cute older brother protested, saying how great it was. Ever since then, I have been fond this song because he helped me hear it with different ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.