Thursday, December 20, 2012

Will Power

Today I was given a tin of homemade English toffee.  It's so good and all day I have kept going back to the cupboard  to get another piece. But now it is night time,  my teeth are starting to tingle from all the sugar and I am worrying about how many pounds I have gained today.  The thought occurred to me, maybe I should throw the rest away.

This lead me to remember my favorite Frog and Toad story "Cookies".

Frog and Toad were having the same problem I am dealing with right now.
"We must stop eating!"  cried Toad as he ate another.
"Yes," said Frog, reaching for a cookie, "we need will power."

They first plan to hide the cookies in a box, then they tie a string around the box and then they put it on a high shelf.  After all their effort to keep the cookies from tempting them, Frog and Toad realize they can still climb up the ladder, bring the box down and untie the string!  Frog decides there is no other choice but to take the cookies outside and offer them to the birds.

"Now we have no more cookies to eat,"said Toad sadly.  "Not even one."
"Yes," said Frog, but we have lots and lots of will power."
"You may keep it all, Frog,"  said Toad.  "I am going home now to bake a cake."

I really relate to both characters in this story.  I hope nothing else tempting comes my way this holiday season.  But I know that's just wishful thinking.

Frog and Toad Together  by Arnold Lobel



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.