Monday, March 4, 2013

A Star is Born


Do you know the scene in P.S. I love You  where Hillary Swank hasn't done her dishes in three weeks and her family walks in on her singing her heart out to Judy Garland's "The Man That Got Away"? I love that scene.  I could totally see myself drowning my sorrows in old movie musicals if my husband died at a young age.  I knew this song because I've heard Barbara Streisand sing it in one of her concert albums, but I didn't know where this song originated from.  


The answer to my search is 1954's A Star is Born.
 The film,  starring Judy Garland and James Mason was chosen as #7 in  The American Film Institute's 2007 list of Best Musicals.
Here is a link to wikipedia for lots of details of plot and production notes.

And here is a trailer that's going to leave you wanting more.
                                                 They don't make movies like this anymore.                                             Judy Garland was 32 years old when she made this film and she is really amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.