Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Art Institute of Chicago







My last day in Chicago was my most spectacular. I spent it wandering through the Art Institute completely enjoying myself. Upon arriving I had been given no information about the collections. I began my adventure with the Impressionists.

I had no idea something so familiar and so wonderful would be available! My joy kept increasing as I went from one room to the next, discovering "Two Sisters" by Renoir, then "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte" by George Seurat. And my greatest joy along with a swell of emotion came from "Water Lilies" by Monet. Prints do not do these paintings justice. The colors are more vivid and the textures gave me such pleasure to behold.

The American paintings from 1900-1950 were great. I am showing you my two favorites, which are George Wesley Bellows' "Love of Winter" and "Shoe Shop" by Elizabeth Sparhawk Jones.

There was also an inventive cardboard art by James Castle and the most recent Caldecott Awards winners on display. I am posting a page from "Flotsam" by David Wiesner. I was also introduced to a delightful book called "A couple of young boys have the best weekend ever" by Marla Frazee. The subject matter caught my attention immediately, I wonder why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.