Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Joy of Homemaking





The shop that calls my name, every time I drive past it on Main Street in Spanish Fork, is Confetti Antiques. Past discoveries include milk glass goblets and music magazines from 1925. But an unexpected treasure was found in the dollar book cart this Summer when I decided to take a chance on a 1975 homemaking book.

The Joy of Homemaking, written by Daryl Hoole, has taught me alot this past month as I have read it most nights before going to bed. I will note the main points that have stuck with me, in an effort to retain these ideas.

1. You have to go the first mile before you can go the second. (This is a big one for me, I need to force myself keep on top of my tasks before I am allowed to go on to the really fun projects.)

2. The better one does, the better she can continue to do. Success begets success.

3. Plan ahead and make a list. Being organized is really the easy way to live.

4. Make certain you've got mind over mattress. If arising early makes the day seem too long, take a short nap after lunch. That hour isn't nearly as vital as the one before breakfast.

5. Honoring the Sabbath can aid us in working out a more effective schedule and managing our time more satisfactorily. (For me this will include food preparation on the Saturday to bless my Sundays with peace.)

6. One the wisest things a woman can do to help her husband is to enthusiastically welcome him home at the close of his work day by looking attractive and refreshed and the table set and dinner ready.

7. Femininity is a priceless gift. What is charm? It is the perfume of the soul. A charming woman is adoring, admiring and appreciative. She is spontaneous, responsive and warm.

8. Self discipline is one of the greatest gifts you can help a child acquire.

9. To help a child feel the love he needs, a parent's love should comprise attention, availability, acceptance, approval, appreciation, advantages, and affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.