Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ellen Tibbets part 1



A childhood favorite that remains on my bedroom bookshelf is "Ellen Tibbets" by Beverly Cleary. My copy of the book was published in 1985 and I love the cover picture, which I am sorry to say I could not find online to show you. This story has stayed close to my heart because I related to Ellen's character in several ways.

First is Ellen's admiration of her third grade teacher. Not only was Miss Joyce "the nicest teacher in the whole school, but she wore the prettiest clothes Ellen had ever seen". Throughout the story Ellen tries her best to impress her teacher.

I too loved my third grade teacher more than any other year - Mrs. Hanns. She was pretty, cheerful, good, and introduced me to many greats books. One time Mrs. Hanns gave us a hundred question test on our multiplication. The reward for the top three scores was ice cream after school with my favorite teacher. You can believe how dedicated I was to my studies in order to win the prize. And I did it!

This fall I have been volunteering in Henry's first grade class one morning a week. I have been smitten with the children and enjoy helping in the small ways I can. I am looking forward to many years of volunteering.

I have included a picture of my first elementary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.