Thursday, February 18, 2010

A New Favorite


This past year I ordered a collection of Caldecott Winning books from the Scholastic book order form. Included was a book titled "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble" which I was not familar with.

The story is about a donkey who likes to collect pretty rocks, and one day he discovers a magic pebble that allows him whatever he wishes. The catch is Sylvester has to be holding the pebble in his paw as he makes the wish. Well, he accidently wishes he is was a rock and then can no longer hold the pebble to wish himself back into a donkey.

At the end of the story Sylvester is finally reunited with his family and he decides to put the pebble away in a safe place. I get choked up every time I read the last line. "Some day they might want to use it, but really, for now, what more could they wish for? They all had all that they wanted."

1 comment:

  1. you are SOOOOO good at picking out books.. my mom READ this to me when I was younger.. I TOTALLY remember this book!!!!!!! MISS YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.