Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Maui




Two weeks ago I was lucky enough to go to Hawaii for a week. Maui to be exact. We were beach bums, on lawn chairs in the grass. Here is a picture of our view.

Every day we went by the ocean to read our books and would periodically look up when a humpback whale would catch our eye. Sometimes the whales would puff water out of their blowhole, or flap its tail, or completely jump out of the water. During the months of January to March, the humpback whales live in the Maui waters because they are warm and shallow, ideal for giving birth to their babies.

One day we decided to rent kayaks to see if we could get closer to the whales. We kept seeing whales way in the distance and knew we couldn't paddle that far that fast. Right when we were about the give up, a group of three whales came up approximately one hundred feet away. Daniel was banging the oar against the kayak, hoping to stir their curiosity. Without any warning a humongous spine poked out of the water only ten feet away from us. It was awesome and I was scared. After that he must have joined the others that were at a more safe distance.

The restaurants were all amazing in Maui, all in the steak and seafood genre, but my favorite meal ended up being my last night there at an Italian place where I ordered a Caesar salad with spaghetti and meatballs. I guess that just shows I need variety even in paradise. Ohh! And I have to mention my favorite dessert from earlier in the week - gingerbread ice cream sundae with ripples of pear sorbet. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.