Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Gwyneth's Cookbook



I have always been a big fan of Gwyneth Paltrow's, way back when she was dating Brad Pitt, and she's just getting better with age.  Of course beautiful people are fun to study, their hair, their fashion; but she can sing, she has children, she likes cooking!  Needless to say, I was very excited to receive her cookbook as one of my Christmas presents last year. 

I took the book up with me on a snowy weekend to Bear Lake in January, and devoured it while the rest of my family learned how to ski.  As I read the opening pages I found myself asking, "Am I really going to pull out a pen and highlight a cookbook?  Yes!  This is good stuff.  Philosophy to live by."

Before I share a few quotes, let me just say I feel that this book, My Father's Daughter, is an amazing way for Gwyneth to record her history.  How sweet and precious - to write while her memories are still vivid for herself, and preserve them for her posterity, in combination with significant recipes.  For as is it written in her introduction by Mario Batali "family's historic events, major celebrations and even simple holidays have always been punctuated not only by food but by specific dishes."

Gwyneth speaks of discovering a balance in the food she eats and serves, striving to offer her children the purest foods, yet recognizing all her favorite food memories with her Dad were about "fun and deliciousness and togetherness".   She also shares her realization that in this busy world, she can't take advantage of every opportunity in life, and "my family will always be where I strive most for success.  Making a home, cooking with love, and bringing everyone together are my tangible ways of achieving that kind of success."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.