Sunday, May 20, 2012

Hello Dolly


In my memory, this is the order of musicals in my life.


First, there was The Sound of Music on the television. When Utah Lake flooded in 1984 I wanted to run away to the mountains like the Von Trapps. Then there was The King and I at the Provo Tabernacle, just me and my parents. I knew I loved live theatre at six years old. Next was Hello Dolly on VHS. I loved the comedy, romance, costumes, and of course the music.  I watched it over and over. "Horace Vandegelder, you go your way and I'll go mine!" Unlike the part of Liesel, which I have long outgrown my chance of obtaining, I still have dreams of playing the part of Dolly Levi.

Here is a trailer from the 1964 movie featuring Barbara Streisand, Barbara who taught me how to sing.

1 comment:

  1. This trailer brought tears to my eyes. Oh the flood of memories, first with my friends in school as we watched it together and then with my memories of watching it with my daughter. I forgot that there is someone out there who loves musicals as much as I do. Thank you for you blog. I will follow. Rhenda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.