Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Power of Friendship

I just finished reading an essay, "To Nurture and Be Nurtured:The Friendships of Eliza R. Snow" by Jill Mulvay Derr.  I love being able to relate to older generations and that is exactly what this article helped me to feel.


The author travels through a handful of friendships from Eliza's youth to her old age and then concludes "Thus, Eliza R. Snow's monumental achievements were not hers alone.  The women who traveled with her, talked and wrote to her, prayed for her, and bore with her, significantly strengthened her capacity as friend, teacher, and leader."

Eliza herself said "We know the Lord's laid high responsibility upon us...and the greatest good we can do to ourselves and each other is to refine and cultivate ourselves in everything that is good and ennobling to qualify us for those responsibilities."  Jill Mulvay Derr points out the beautiful cycle which occurs when  helping our sisters to refine and cultivate everything good and ennobling, they then in turn bless and enrich other lives.

Here are my loyal friends who bring me joy, enrich my life and support me - Annette, Jaime, and Tracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.