Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Clearwater, FL




Fourth of July weekend Daniel and I flew to Tampa, and then drove half an hour south to Clearwater, Florida, which is in the Gulf of Mexico.  We stayed in St. Pete's Beach and the water was seriously 84 degrees!  For Daniel, he wished the water was more refreshing, but I loved knowing that when I walked in the water I wasn't going to wince at all.




Why did we fly across the country?  To attend the wedding of Daniel's cousin, James, who had flown in from England.  I always love a wedding.  Nothing is more romantic than to hear a bride and groom recite their vows to love and honor each other.  For this wedding we took a boat to a small island, where the man performing the service met us there.  

This was his vessel.

                                Catches Restaurant, where we ate lunch just before the ceremony.


 There were other people recreating with their boats at this small island.  The wind and the waves made it difficult for onlookers to hear, but when James and Sonia were pronounced "Man and Wife"  everyone around started to clap and cheer.  There were also little seashells everywhere on the beach.  I collected enough to write James (heart) Sonia in the sand.    I was so happy searching and finding treasure.


I don't actually have any pictures from the island because we had to get out of our boat when the water was waist deep, and wade to shore, so I didn't worry about bringing my bag with me.


St. Pete's is a true beach town, reminded me of Ocean City Maryland.  No shops except a grocery store and a Walgreen's of course.  The restaurants were nothing fancy, but we were so content eating at the hotels bars on the beach.



                                                      Food, Karaoke and Dancing


Our last day there, I took a thirty minute drive to downtown St. Petersburg, in search of the Dali Museum, which contains the largest collection of Salvador Dali's paintings - unless you go to his native country, Spain.
Cool building.



 I have never been a big fan, but once again I have to say....paintings are so much better in person, a print can not do justice.  Some of Dali's paintings were quite small, like this one.  Girl With Curls was my favorite.  Painted in 1926, her feminine curves were not in fashion with the Flapper Movement, and her body is disproportional  with the background.


This painting, titled Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea which at 20 Meters Becomes the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln.'  was very large. When you squint your eyes you can see Lincoln even better.  Impressive.


I really love paintings, whether thick and textured, or thin and smooth, I love studying the brush stokes.

Here is a map of Clearwater, FL in case I have tempted you to visit.  I didn't spent any time in St. Petersburg except for the Museum, but it looked charmingly metropolitan for a beach town.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.