Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Apple Salad


'Tis the season for apples!  Of course they are around all year, but I am most passionate about eating apples in the fall when they have just come off the tree.

I have recently found a recipe for a salad dressing that I love and goes amazing well with apples.

2/3 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon mustard
2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

Mix in blender.  Pour into a jar and refrigerate.  Keeps for 3 weeks.

Apple salads are so easy and so delicious.  Lettuce, apple, cheese of your choice and nuts or sunflower seeds, along with this dressing.

This recipe came from The Essential Mormon Cookbook by Julie Badger Jensen.   I have reduced the sugar by a third for you and me.  It's still plenty and has a great tang.

 I'll tell you another recipe from this book I really like, the Cornbread.  It's moist and sweet, and was so delicious the other night with my Tortilla Soup.


1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk

Cream butter, sugar and eggs.  In a separate bowl blend all dry ingredients.  Combine creamed mixture, dry mixture and milk.  Blend.  Bake in a 8" square or round pan at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

Here I have cut the sugar by a fourth and changed some of the flour to whole wheat.  It has a nice texture.

I like cornbread, one - because its yummy, two - because it's filling for when I'm feeding a crowd, and three, because its easy.  I don't have to worry about any yeast rising.  Another advantage is if you have any leftovers, you can make cornbread croutons the next day.


Let the bread dry out by keeping it uncovered over night.  Cut into cubes and throw into a frying pan with olive oil and salt.  Gently toss until golden brown, then serve in your next salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.