Monday, October 29, 2012

Into the Woods


Today let's talk about Stephen Sondheim's clever and deep show about "what happens after happily ever after?"  This show opened on Broadway in 1987 and starred Bernadette Peters as the witch from the story of Rapunzel.  The play also includes characters from Cinderella, Jack and the Bean Stalk and Little Red Riding Hood with a brief appearance of Sleeping Beauty and Snow White.

My friend Fara introduced me to this show a year later when she made me a tape cassette recording of the soundtrack.   I remember all the talking within the music drove my mom a little crazy; I can understand now, you can only handle so much noise in the car when you are driving.

But as I am writing this I realize, Into the Woods  was the first musical I studied and learned without my parents introducing it to me.  A moment in my story of independence.

Okay, let's get on with the pictures and music.
The baker and his wife with the Witch

Little Red Riding Hood with the Wolf (who quickly changed to play Cinderella' prince)
impressive costume change

                       Red, Jack, Cinderella, and the Baker with the witch, after she has become beautiful

Did you know Amy Adams just performed in a revival this summer in Central Park?


Here is one of my favorite songs.  These princes have gorgeous voices and are so funny as they debate who suffers more agony - one whose princess runs away, or one whose is in a tower?

This is a great sampling of the Central Park production with Amy Adams.  The costumes are definitely more wild, less traditional.  I wish I could have attended, the acting looks fab.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.