Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pippin

I was introduced to Pippin when my high school choir sang "Corner of the Sky".  I loved the sentiment of the song and  quickly found the soundtrack and piano music at the Carnegie Mellon library to teach myself the rest of the score.


Written by Stephen Schwartz,  Pippin opened on Broadway in 1972.  The music at times has a jazzy, hippy, or disco feel and definitely has very fun yet deep lyrics.  I could tell from the lyrics that Pippin is on a journey, trying to find meaning in his life, but I never could figure out the rest of the plot.  Here is a link to Wikipedia to give you lots more details in case you are interested.

                                                                 There are love songs

And here is the famous "Corner of the Sky"  from a 2009 production in Staten Island, NY performed by Billy Piscopo.  You can tell by the costumes, this director/designer stayed true to the hippy feel of the original

From the Broadway production in 1981,  here is one of my favorite songs"Kind of Woman". It's so fun to see it acted out on stage and hey! the lead playing Pippin is the greatest american hero!  William Katt

I would highly recommend purchasing this soundtrack.  It's great to sing to, and great to dance to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.