Monday, March 16, 2009

Women and Creativity


Yesterday as I dropped Arthur and George off at their Sunbeams class, I was informed it was their week for the Sharing Time presentation. I attended Relief Society and thought to myself that I would sneak out of Sunday School half way through to witness the boys' participation. The lesson was centered on Doctrine & Covanants Section 25, revelation given to Emma Smith. The teacher grabbed my attention right away when she noted this was the only revelation given to a woman in the entire book.


I ended up not being able to pull myself away. We discussed the roles of husbands and wives, supporting and comforting each other in their responsibilities. I always have an alert ear when the topic pertains to marriage.


Then a reference was given about Emma assembling a new hymn book, and we watched a brief film, the length of a commerical. I was surprised, but again intrigued when the word CREATE flashed up on the screen. President Dieter Utchdorf was speaking about women and their innate desire to create something of their own. I was thrilled to receive another confirmation that Heavenly Father wants me to develop my talents and expand my mind. But for this statement to encompass everyone, it goes beyond the sewing machine, paints, or piano. President Uchtdorf said there are many who feel they are not creative, but this is not true. We are all children of the most creative being and we have his genes in us. How empowering is that statement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.