Sunday, December 20, 2009

My History and Heritage of Sewing






On my fifth Christmas my mother made me clothes for my Barbie. Wow! Can you imagine sewing around those armholes? Throughout my childhood my mom made dolls, bedding, costumes and clothing for me and my family. She learned how to sew from my great grandmother Gerda, her mom's mom. Gerda sewed for work throughout her life and when retired, she then sewed for an orphanage.

As a child I was never keen to learn how to use the sewing machine. It wasn't until the semester at BYU when I took Beginning Stage Make-up and Beginning Costume Construction. My professors Janet Swenson and Carolyn Smith showered me with so much love and attention that I decided I never wanted to leave the theatre department. Thus began my life as a creative person. Once that side of my personality was opened I instantly had a strong desire to make gifts for my family at Christmas time. Looking back at some gifts, my flubs are a bit embarrassing. But this year I have been really pleased with my projects. Here are some photos to share.

Also, here is a photo of my mom's handy work. This month Arthur and George turned four years old and my mom made them six foot stuffed snakes. The boys are thrilled with their gifts.

2 comments:

  1. kimberly I MUST have blocked out how much I MISS you!!!!!! these things are AWESOME!!!!!! oh my sweet kimberly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember you working up in the theatre department all the time in college :) I love your sweater flowers, by the way. You should do a tutorial on how to make them. I want to learn!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.