Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Becoming politically involved


After I finished my book on Frederick Douglass, I decided to continue my education of African American history. I then began reading a book about Rosa Parks. What kept on grabbing my attention in both books was the continuous mention of their attendance and participation in meetings, conventions and workshops. Fredrick never stopped speaking about how to overcome slavery, and when he wasn't speaking, he was publishing pertaining to the same topic. Rosa joined the NAACP and became the secretary in her local chapter. The topic in her time was how to overcome discrimination. Of course I believe these are crucial causes, but I was puzzled at these two spending all their free moments on the same topic over and over again.

Finally I got! There is power in numbers and there is magic in persistence. Frederick Douglass was so passionate, that he was able to help America see what was right. He became President Abraham Lincoln's personal advisor in matters of slavery and its abolition. After the war was over Frederick continued for the rest of his life to give lectures and writings about the issues of civil rights. His words pricked the conscience of his audience and caused them to swell with hope for the future.

Rosa Parks was a quiet humble woman, who was hard working and strong. She went out searching for the answers to the problems of her people. It was her regular participation in meetings that prepared for her courageous stand. Rosa was the first black woman to say "no" to the bus driver (who was a horrible man) when he told her to get up and stand in the back of the bus because there were no seats left for the white passenger who had just stepped on. How humiliating. And she said to herself, "the more we give in and comply, the worse they treat us." Rosa said she suddenly felt the "strength of her ancestors with her".

This incident set the modern Civil Rights Movement into motion. Rosa was arrested and assigned a day in court. The jury found her guilty and the NAACP sponsored her case as she appealed it all the way to the Supreme Court. The process took over a year, during which time the entire black community in the city of Montgomery, Alabama carried out a bus boycott. They car pooled, hired taxis, but mostly they walked to and from work every day.

So now I see how I can apply the prophet's council, to become politically engaged in my community. I need to listen to my heart and decide what I feel passionate about. Once I join a group, I can help brainstorm for solutions and help educate those around me about the issues dear to my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.