Friday, July 13, 2012

Mum's Birthday


I am blessed to have both a Mom and a Mum.  Terri has always treated me like a daughter, for which I am very grateful.  She has taught me how to take care of myself, take care of others and take care of my home.

I vividly remember scrubbing the hard water stains off the windows with Terri when we first moved into the house across from the Provo Temple.  I wasn't wringing out my washcloth enough, Terri showed me how much water was still in that cloth by tightening her hands around it as hard as she could.  I think about that lesson every day when I'm at my kitchen sink.

Another time when I had moved houses, this time to Springville, I was preoccupied with decorating the inside of the home and neglected cleaning the rafters on the front porch, which were covered in spider webs and dead bugs.  Terri taught me that the porch is the first impression for all those who come knocking on my door, representing me and my family.

Every time I put my duvet back into a freshly washed duvet cover, I think of my mother 'n law and remember how she helped me make my bed as a young, newly married girl.  These examples are all of a practical nature, but I appreciate how these lessons keep Terri close to my mind and heart as I go through my days, tending  to my tasks.

Over the years Terri has schooled me in making a home, preparing for a baby, safety and well being in childcare, relationships and entertaining; I am grateful for all I have learned.  Not having daughters of my own, the thought has occurred to me a couple times, "I hope my future daughter 'n laws will allow me to share and help them", continuing Terri's knowledge and traditions through their generations.

Happy Birthday!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.