Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Power of Kindness

Once upon a time I was a lost college student, wandering around BYU trying to figure out what I should do with my life.  Elementary Education?  no. Music Education?  maybe, with a Theatre minor?  ok.

The next semester I took Beginning Stage Make-up and Costume Construction 1.  They were small classes in the basement of the Harris Fine Arts Center, taught by one Janet Swenson and a Carolyn Smith.



Janet was funny.  Her desk was in the middle of the room so we could all see her demos and then she could monitor our work in the mirrored  classroom. In her central location, Janet would talk, make funny voices, and joke with all of us before, during and after class.  She knew our names.  I was shy, but Janet still paid attention to me.  Never had I felt so comfortable at the 30,000 student university before.


Carolyn, a spunky, little grandma, who was the Costume Shop's Assistant Manager.  She was so kind and always busy.  Oh, did she work so hard.  Her class was my first exposure to sewing, and the beginning of a life long passion that would rival my music.

That semester changed my life.  I never wanted to leave the love and attention of these two women...so I changed my major to Theatre Arts for Costume Design.  Thus embarking on my life of Creativity, something I didn't know existed inside of me before then.


It turned out to be a great fit for me.  I really dig the psychology within each play,  analyzing the characters' motives and interpreting their effects on the set and costumes.   I enjoy researching different histories and fashion for each production, and then finding clothing and color schemes to match the personalities of my characters.

 Artist: Alfrons Maria Mucha.
I was asked to use these and other paintings as inspiration for my designs in BYU's 2000 production of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.  

I regret I was inconsistent in my homework. I didn't give it my all.  I struggled with balancing my work and play.  Or really, coming to grips with the fact that University life is mostly work.  Despite my disappointing efforts I was always treated with respect from my professors and Janet in particular was always there when I needed a heart to heart talk.

Since I have left BYU, I have not been involved with the theatre. But I have had the skills and the confidence to create a beautiful home for my family.  I have also been able to send my love to many babies, each with the gift of a one of a kind blanket.  I fantasize about returning to the Costume Studio when I'm older. Whether sooner or later - I have Carolyn as my role model, with a career in her retirement years.  And I have Janet as my inspiration, for the influence one person can have when she cares for Heavenly Father's children.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate feedback.